Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Chicken Greek Salad Pita Pockets


Has anyone ever heard of this song? It has been playing on my head all.day.long. Very catchy tunes. You can't help but move along to the beat.

Dancing is definitely not for me. I'm like the embarrassing dad with the awkward dance moves that make you cringe to watch. Side step left, side step right, you can't go wrong with that, right? But I do like to dance when I'm alone at home, unrestrained. ha! No.

The hubby and I visited Nijmegen last saturday, one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands. Very pretty city, I must say. 


This was one of those few days when the weather was perfect. It was sunny and dry. We got lucky!



But let's get back to those gorgeous pita pockets. 

Hubby doesn't miss a day without asking me how many hours I've actually hit the books. I have a daily quota of 4-5 hrs. I think It's pretty obvious I'd rather be spending more time munching on these than repeating the same dutch sentences on a book five times. It can drive you crazy, yeah.

I need a delicious break in between the study hours. I NEED THIS. NOW.

Uber Deelish Greek Salad upgraded to a very satisfying lunch.


CHICKEN GREEK SALAD PITA POCKETS
serves 2
2 handfuls of mixed salad greens with arugula
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3-4 inch cucumber, chopped
feta cheese, chopped or crumbled
5 pcs olives, sliced
1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
2 pita pockets, pre warmed in the oven
creamy garlic sauce

Prepare your ingredients. Preheat the oven and warm the pita according to package instructions. Mine took 6-7 minutes.


Chop the tomatoes and cucumber. Grab a handful of your salad mix. I love it with arugula.


Mix the tomatoes, cucumber, greens, olives and feta cheese in a bowl or dish. At this point, you can add a drizzle of your favorite vinaigrette or completely omit it.

  
Next, chop the cooked chicken. The hubby works for a spice company and one day took home a small sample of a spicemix they make at work called "Gehakt kruiden" which is actually for meatballs but I love it on chicken. Season your chicken how you like it or just with salt and pepper before cooking it on a pan with olive oil.


When the pita bread is warm and ready, quickly cut it in half.  Don't let it get cold before cutting it otherwise it's next to impossible to open them up for the filling. Lesson learned.


 

I cannot get enough of this creamy garlic sauce "sample" that the hubby also took home from work.


This is so delicious! I'd eat it by the spoon if I only have more of this stuff. Otherwise, you can also use a recipe for a good garlic sauce. This one I think has sour cream, garlic, mayo and a mix of fresh herbs. 

Warning: Do not be distracted by the dry, wrinkly hand that badly needs some lotion.


Layer the salad alternately with the chicken then the sauce until the pita is all filled up. Eet Smakelijk!

Now this is my kind of lunch.